Sunday, February 10, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year

As I have mentioned previously, I am a die hard Red Sox fan. I can't help it. It's in my blood, as evidenced in the email I received from my mother this morning:

"Saturday the truck left with the equipment for Florida. It is one of my favorite days of the year.
Love MOM"

She is, of course, referring to the truck transporting red sox equipment to spring training. So for her and all the other baseball fans out there, I propose a new holiday. Screw the spring equinox, I say the first day of spring training shall forever and here on out referred to as "The Official First Day of Spring". I mean, think about it. What else so purely represents a sense of optimism and renewal as the first day of baseball season? So come February 15th, a mere 5 days from now, workouts begin for 30 teams. Can you feel it? Can you feel the goosebumps, the shiver of excitement? Hang on dear readers, especially those of you who like me are staring out the window at a blizzard, for spring is a week away!

1 comment:

epb said...

I had to wipe the tears of joy from my eyes, before I could comment. A beautiful post. I'm picturing Big Papi, Manny, and Youkilis -- all in white robes and flower garlands -- dancing around the Maypole. Happy Spring, indeed. Go Sox.