Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Garlic: A Tribute

Today marked the passing of a good friend: the little garlic bulb that could. A few months ago, Josh and Selene bought garlic as they usually do, and it sat in a bowl on the counter in the kitchen as it usually does. However, the little guy got up the gumption to grow. And grow he did. First he sprouted green, then was moved to the top of the refrigerator where he grew tall and lush stalks, and then he lived a little pot that I brought over for the occasion. He was watered. He was loved. He was decorated with fake flowers that I bought for the flamingo project. Unfortunately, he was also dying, which Josh found out today when he accidentally dropped the pot and saw root rot and fungus. Poor garlic. He wasn't meant to be a house plant. We will miss him. Luckily we have Ernie the schefflera to fill some of the void, but he isn't garlic. We bid you safe tidings to the nutrient rich well drained soil in the sky.

2 comments:

Joshua said...

I like how you totally gloss over my lack of parenting skills here.

l.e.h. said...

Well, until we put a small child in a pot and water him or her, I'm not going to consider growing garlic a sign of parenting skills. Plus, I saw you sing to the garlic, trim the stalks and tell it that it was going to be the belle of the ball. It doesn't get much more nurturing than that my dear.