Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Burlingtonian At Last!

I have done it. I have finally become a resident of Burlington. After 8 years of living here in a state where a mere 20 years ago cows outnumbered people, I've given up moving from quasi-suburb to suburb to rural outpost and am trying my hand at the "big city" of approximately 39,000 people. Here in the largest city in Vermont, I've found a much more palatable lifestyle. I dig it here! My apartment is tiny, my living room is green and my kitchen cabinets are blue, my cats have windows to sit in, and my landlord is very nice. It's a lovely situation and I've found I really like living by myself. Now when I snap and obsessively compulsively clean at 2am, no one is there to laugh at me. But, rest assured, I'm not a recluse. If I die, there are several people who will find the body before I start to decompose. Just thought you all might like the update. I'll post pictures as soon as my computer decides to function as a complete unit again.

In other news, I am just back from the Windy City after a lovely visit with my favorite sister. I'll give you a brief snapshot of the trip:

It's the 4th of July - we walk the streets of Chicago with no one in sight. What's going on? Mass virus outbreak? Alien abduction? Not a store open - not a restaurant serving - not a car on the road. We keep walking. Finally, as we near the waterfront, we see it: The Taste of Chicago! Almost every person in the greater Chicago area was crammed into a 1/2 mile of food tents and street vendors vying for the opportunity to scarf down a turkey leg covered in bbq sauce. Every turkey in a 10 mile radius must have been fearing for its feathered life. Katie and I were absolutely astonished. It was a true spectacle in the Greek sense of the word. If you have the chance to experience this I highly recommend it from a sociological perspective alone. Of course, Katie has celiac's and I'm a vegetarian, so we ate ice cream. And we hit up the free photo booth!


Taste of Chicago. A true experience. Pass it on.

3 comments:

ajd said...

Your sister is a hottie. Can I get her phone number?

l.e.h. said...

I don't know about that. She has this husband who's a pretty big dude. I don't think he'd like it...

By the way, welcome back to the USA!

ajd said...

He's a goon, and I am quick and crafty. He won't stand a chance!

And thanks! It is nice to be back home, though a bit disorienting. One day I will upload pictures from the trip!