Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Stretched Skin

Sometimes I feel like I've lived so many lives in my 30 year old skin that it is stretched beyond its years. Augustin Burroughs once said that when people met him they expected him to be funny, but what he really was was tired and wrinkled, like he'd shoved 17 lives into his skin and now it was stretched and saggy. I can relate. My cat, my dear clumsy squeaky cat Oscar is in the kitty hospital tonight thanks to bladder stones and the whole ordeal made me realize that on any day of the week I'm so jaded I don't let misery and emergency come within a 30 ft range of me. I'm the master of blocking out Bad. For those of you that can master this avoidance technique, I highly recommend it. It doesn't do much for your relationships, but it's one hell of a coping mechanism. Eventually you learn to only let in what you feel like dealing with. Incredible, no? I'm completely in awe of my brain's coping mechanism. Yeay brain!

No comments: