Monday, January 21, 2008

R.I.P. Beloved Mug

On this day of remembrance for Martin Luther King Jr., a man who was a visionary and a force of change cut down far too early in his life, I wish I could say I was out changing the world. I should be out changing the world. But I'm not. I'm cleaning my apartment. That's changing my world, right? Right? Oy. I stink.

However, the point of this post is not to bemoan the state of the world, or American apathy, but rather to morn the loss of a treasured friend - my polka dot mug. Most of you who know me well know of my love of polka dots. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe it's the symmetry, the whimsy, the repetition - I have no idea. I just know that I love them. And six years ago I found a mug by a local potter covered in, that's right, polka dots. Today, that mug left this functional world.


Rest in piece, my polka dotted friend. There will be no more coffee for you.

5 comments:

epb said...

Should be 'rest in peace' or 'rest in pieces.'

l.e.h. said...

Danke, Herr Grammar Nazi. However, if you look closely at the picture you will see one singular piece of coffee mug. It is no longer a whole coffee mug since it doesn't hold liquid and thus will never find peace, and it only has one piece, since the others were thrown out. Thus, in regards to this photo, I chose "rest in piece".

Anonymous said...

Oh, you just don't know your sister. I have thoroughly researched FDA-approved food-grade epoxy. I have a sample that I can send, or the next time you are out you can play with epoxy in Chicago!

Keep those pieces.

Joshua said...

Oh, I already tried to get her to go the food-grade epoxy route, she wasn't having any of it.

But what did your research return? Curious if I arrived at the same results as you.

ajd said...

She's been using the 20-2062 LV (low viscosity) from epoxies.com. That stuff works. It's messy -- you have to mix two parts of the resin to one part of the catalyst -- and it's not cheap, either, but man it works well.

Here's some information on it:

http://www.epoxies.com/tech/20-3062FDA.pdf

They're a friendly company and were happy to send us free samples of the products before we bought them in larger quantities. You get a lot of mileage out of the samples, too.